View Single Post
Old 10th June 2020, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Squeezer 1.5.1 App on Android 8

A lot of questions Richard,

OK

The Home network is a standard BT superfast Broadband, I usually get at Least 60 Mb/s, its supposed to be 76 but I seldom get it at that speed, probably due to all the other devices on the network.
Apart from the computer station at the office desk which is wired from the main router via a secondary switching unit, ok its the landing but its where the printer etc lives. Everything else runs wirelessly and I use a BT extender disc for the upstairs stuff, our main entertainment centre is actually on the first floor where we recently built a new bigger dormer extension. It seems to work fine for internet radio/Netflix etc without drop outs.
So the SBT will be wirelessly connected to the network although it would be feasible to run an ethernet wire round the skirting boards if needed.
The Stereo is based around a pair of Quad 989 ESL usually driven by either the home brew EL34 power amp and whatever preamp I fancy/am working on, or the trusty WD KT88 now converted to integrated with a hifi collective remote volume board fitted... and it sounds bloody good.
I also have some quad 405's.....

Source material is as often as not LP, and the deck/arm/cartridge is of no issue here.
Digital is taken care of via a Rega Saturn R which has the DAC facility, I find it to be just about as good as anything out there, and indeed I was very taken with the way it makes "ordinary" CD sound really good given a good recording to begin with. The DAC section has 2 SP/DIF optical and 2 electrical inputs and a single USB input that on this device will run right up to 192kHz so well catered for there.
I have the Squeezebox connected via an electrical SP/DIF as the opticals are taken up with the TV and el cheapo Bluray player.
So I have the facility to Use the SB via a network player i.e. the laptop or my linx W10 tablet style mini netbook. I haven't decided on what software to use but Foobar seems to interface well with the DAC.
I would prefer to use good old FM for the radio as my main listening is either BBC R3 usually late evening, or casual Local BBC radio in the day if around indoors. However we have a totally **** signal due to living in a steep sided valley and even a huge Ron Smith aerial on the roof cant get me a clean stereo signal, and mono usually has issues too.
So its the internet feed or use the freeview via the TV's digital audio output, possibly also Freesat via the old Humax box.
I did discover with a new laptop PC that BBC sounds does broadcast the local radio at 320kBs but still only a MP3 feed but its good enough for casual listening and lets face it they only use music off the station computer....
I can do this direct to the DAC but it entails trailing a USB cable across the lounge, not elegant and if it were possible to stream this wirelessly to the SBT that would be a bonus.
Most of my stored music is either on a USB HDD or a rather nifty FiiO personal player I got with a subscription to Hi Fi World, I was very surprised at its audio quality and solid build feel. And it will stream the files direct via its mini USB port. or Bluetooth at a pinch (in the car that's great).
Again none of my stored music apart from a couple of test files is better than CD quality 16 bit uncompressed .wav and maybe my ears are shot but I find it to be bloody good.

I taped over the remote sensor on the SBT, it's a pain in the rear end because Philips RC system remotes interfere with the SBT and that's another reason to investigate control via the network and android Phone. The Phone is a new Samsung galaxy A20 which aint cutting edge but does all I ever needed from a mobile phone and then some.
So that's pretty much where I am with it, I don't use online streaming services at least not yet, maybe I should but I am too old to keep fiddling when I rather just bung the music on and listen.
I reckon it should work ok, when I gotthe SBT new and it was still backed up by Logitech I did get it running ok using media player and also iTunes but found they always wanted to default to something I didn't want nor did I want to give out my credit card details to Mr Apple.
OK if still awake Richard that's about it, I'm inno hurry to get it sorted as I am strangely busy with various family problems that are complicated by the current Kafka-esque situation and "Rules" that aren't rules when its a medical emergency or someone needs hands on care.... A word to those with elderly etc dependents just ignore borises daft regulations and 2 fingers to curtain twitching neighbours when your loved ones lives and sanity are at risk because the NHS ran away someone has to go in.