View Single Post
Old 6th July 2020, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Cathode Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Hi Brian,
Last question first - You would require all the bits for a Pre3 CF plus a PSU of some sort and the necessary interconnecting cables.
Advantages - A relatively low impedance output enabling you to use longer leads, simplicity itself. Can keep existing Vol control/input selector
Disadvantages - loss of gain -0.9dB, Large capacitor to isolate output DC, power supply and all attendant bits, cables etc.
As to how it would sound, I will pass on that, suffice to say I work on the Dr Lanchester principle "if it sounds right it is right" He quoted the maxim "If it looks right it is right" which applied to aeronautics
I know that this is going to create howls of protest here, but the only real criteria are your ears, equipment and listening room, and even music. I have had people say "I don't like the sound" when they really didn't like the music being played

John
Hi John,

completely agree with regards to the sound... Like a lot of people I'm always open to improving the sound, but understand that a lot of changes are a bit of a punt as you don't know if you like the change until you've spent the cash.

As I see it all I'll need is the electronics + power cable as I already have a PSU2, and a passive pre2 case with connections etc. Not sure, but I might even have a spare power cord kicking around.

Loss of gain should not be a problem as I'm currently at around about 1/4 turn from minimum volume.

Brian