View Single Post
Old 13th February 2019, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: New build WDPhono 3 Questions; heater voltage/LED

On a further point, you do not need to solder both sides of the component on the current WD PCBs as they are Plated Through Hole (PTH) types, molten solder will "wick through" and make a very good mechanical joint.
You do not need to bend component leads more than 10, just enough to hold the component in place whilst you solder it in. As Bob says heat producing components ie large voltage dropping resistors should ideally be spaced off the PCB 10-20mm to avoid "cooking" the PCB and solder joints, PTFE sleeving useful here.
When removing multi pinned items, ie valve bases, bite the bullet and cut the pins then remove them one by one, clean up the holes and fit a new item. It will be cheaper both in time and temper than a new PCB.
When fitting a new PCB valve base, solder in just two pins diametrically opposite, check it is seated squarely then solder the rest. If you are paranoid about your valves and spacing you can always fit an old valve to the socket to get the pin alignment correct.
I have to admit even with tagstrip/tagboard construction I have never wrapped wires around tags as I do not think it necessary, but then I have been doing it a long time

John

John

Last edited by John Caswell; 13th February 2019 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo