World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > For Sale/Wanted > Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wanted Add your requests for items or components

Old 30th June 2022, 04:22 PM

Default Re: WAD 5881 MKll

Sold for £300-00, one bid.
Well some one got a bargain, regardless of any possible problems...
Alan
Old 30th June 2022, 07:31 PM

As far as I can see there’s only one large electrolytic capacitor and half a dozen smaller ones that would benefit from being replaced. I’d also want to replace the two input valves with 7025s, or equivalents. The output transformers in the circuit diagram have 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps. The main speaker terminals are probably 8 ohm and the yellow terminals either 4 or 16 ohm. In any event there’s no problem leaving them ‘as is’. Once I’d seen the internal photo I nearly bid myself!
Old 30th June 2022, 07:53 PM

If you won this you got a bargain Anthony. Well worth spending a few pennies to service (if needed) then sometime later maybe upgrade the bits
Martin
Old 1st July 2022, 09:40 AM

Hi, I didn't bid in the end, they wanted me to pick up from East Anglia, which to be honest would of given me a day out, but I just kept thinking it will be worth saving and paying for something that will be better and patience is the key, but can not thank everyones comments on here
Old 1st July 2022, 10:47 AM

Hi Anthony,
Maybe you need to tell us what you really need / want.
Or what your abilities are working on valve amplifiers?

I suspect most WAD amps, like the K5881, need to be thought of as 'doer uppers'. They are 20+ years old. Expect to spend on a service and perhaps a set of valves.
If you want a serviced or perfect working example there will be a premium to pay.

Alan
Old 1st July 2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc6 View Post
As far as I can see there’s only one large electrolytic capacitor and half a dozen smaller ones that would benefit from being replaced. I’d also want to replace the two input valves with 7025s, or equivalents. The output transformers in the circuit diagram have 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps. The main speaker terminals are probably 8 ohm and the yellow terminals either 4 or 16 ohm. In any event there’s no problem leaving them ‘as is’. Once I’d seen the internal photo I nearly bid myself!
Yes so did I but I said I wouldn’t however if it was a bit closer I would have been very very tempted too
Martin
Old 1st July 2022, 08:38 PM

Hi Alan

I am really new to Valve Amps, I have borrowed my sisters Wad 5881 MKll bust she doesn't want to sell it, a friend of mine Gary who is on this forum has the same Amp MK 1 along with his E.A.R, my sister also has some world Audio curtesy of Gary that she uses along with her icon Audio LA4 MK111 Pre Amp, Gary has the icon Audio LA4 MKll which he feels better, they have been guiding me along with John on this website, I had arranged to audition the Croft 5 on Ebay that is up for sale only for the guy after arranging it tells me his in Dublin, so that was a no go.

Ive been to John's a couple of times as he replaced some Capacitors on my sisters icon pre amp for her, such a lovely man and very knowledgeable as you all know.

So as it stands at some point I have to give my sisters amp back to her so was hoping to keep with a similar model as it sounds pretty good with my Cyrus one cast I use with it, like I say I am very new so appreciate all your help

Anthony
Old 6th July 2022, 06:31 PM

Just noticed this,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314055059...0AAOSwOE5ivILu

Only 40 minutes left but no bids currently. Possibly beyond the budget you were thinking of.

Edit - and something looks pretty weird about the mains input.
Old 7th July 2022, 06:42 AM

That is a very high price for that and it is presented in a dirty condition, Allister, it looks as if the fuse holder is missing and the rec. valves look too small to me. Bob