World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 6th February 2009, 02:10 PM

Default Denon DRM 44HX cassette deck

Anyone have instruction book for this? Failing that, anyone own this, who could explain details of the controls?

Anything most grateully received.

Alastair
Old 6th February 2009, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Denon DRM 44HX cassette deck

Unfortunately they're not free, but you can get one here: http://www.audiocircuit.com/index.php?c=DET&m=DRM-44-HX#

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
broken again - still it's there:
the moon on the water.

- Choshu.
Old 6th February 2009, 05:04 PM

Oh... Sorry!

Just noticed the manual isn't currently available from them...

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
broken again - still it's there:
the moon on the water.

- Choshu.
Old 6th February 2009, 09:21 PM

Thank you for looking that up.
Just bought this one off ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=015
having had the DRM20 in past.

In spite of "its excellent condition", even after washing the outside, I am still assailed by a cloud of tobacco every time I open its door.
Transiently the record meter was reading 10dB down (mono pair of identical signals), but they now seems near level - possibly a speck of dirt.

Does anyone know if the remote control, using the DIN socket on the back was an intrinsic part of the deck as it would have been when bought, or an optional extra?
- and other grouses you don't want to hear about .

Alastair
Old 8th February 2009, 12:03 AM

The remote was an extra with naks - I dont know if that is also likely with Denon, I have never seen a Denon tape remote except in midi systems.

Re smoke

Yes I bought a DBX machine once that was similarily afflicted, and it never finally left but life in a shed might help. Its radical but I suppose if desparate I would spray some perfume on the inside of the cover to battle the tobacco.

Smokers who sell may not be reliable when they say it doesnt smell due to desensitised noses etc.

More soberly I recall a Victorian approach from my childhood reading and interest in chemistry - theres an absorbent substance - not Borax - but a normal household chemical by Victorain standards that one could remove smells from items with - alas I cant remember it but those old Victorian household books used to have that sort of info. My Mum might know!

Try Google or Wikipedia for smell absorbent chemicals/compounds. Those 2 women on the TV have a book out which would also help, it'll be in the library . I expect posh hifi resellers or antique dealers might have the same issue to deal with if you know any to ask.

I have bought lots of Naks over the years and none have had this problem only the other decks I have bought. Not a lot of people know that.
Old 8th February 2009, 09:34 AM

The Denon DRS640 and others above this model came with a bundled RC. I've got one.

The RC is a Denon RC-176 if it helps.

DTB

Last edited by Dave the bass; 8th February 2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: words.
Old 8th February 2009, 02:25 PM

Thank you both. This "remote" would have been connected by wire. The deck dates from late eighties, before everything under the sun had remotes. Just trying to establish some facts before having words with the seller. Amongst other grouses, the packing was so skimpy that the 3-pin mains plug got smashed against the player, luckily making only a small gouge in the rear panel. (But this isn't the "problems with e-bay" thread)

I guess every internal surface will be coated the same. It might make the music sound Cool as a mountain stream, or it might suit Marlboro Country music. I suppose I could put it out in a shed, get a very long remote control a very long interconnect and play it from there !

I was wanting to find out things like: Does the HX (headroom extension) function switch off and would I ever want it off? How does this timer switch work? How do I best make use of the tape auto-tuning function?

Alastair
Old 8th February 2009, 10:57 PM

On all the cassette decks I've had the timer switch puts the player into either 'play' or 'record' as soon as mains power is applied depending on which position the switch is put in.

HX is 'on' all the time on mine, it's not switch able on all the decks I've ownd/had through my old employers workshop. IME the 'tape tune' worked by the deck running a short test sequence on a tape you inserted by recording a series of tones with varying bias applied, on play back the deck 'listened' to the results and self adjusted for the best HF response (I think). Different tapes from different manufacturers favoured different Bias and EQ settings I seem to remember.

It's all done with pootars these days y'know

HTH

DTB